When was the last time you checked in with your employees to see how they are doing at this crucial time in history? Have you taken time out of your hectic schedule to pull each employee aside and ask, “How are you doing? What can we do here to help you adjust to this new normal?” Yes! The best way to find out what your employees need from you is to ask them.
Also, your employees need to know that you, the employer, are going the extra mile to ensure reasonably safe working conditions. Consider the following:
- Do I enforce that all employees are to wear a mask that covers their face and nose?
- Have I built in a few brief mask breaks throughout the day to allow employees to go outside or to their cars momentarily?
- Have I placed enough sanitizer stations throughout the working space?
- Are all cubicles/spaces 6 feet apart?
- Have I added flexible working options for parents of remote learners?
- Have I found a way to allow parents of remote learners to work from home?
- Have I drafted an official COVID-19 safety protocol for my business?
- Do I allow my employees to have input on what will make them feel safe during the working day?
- Have I provided my employees with information about emotional and financial support services or groups?
Your employees need to see that you are actively invested in their stability. Content employees will perform well and increase the revenue, success, and longevity of your business. Engaging with and trying to assist your employees should be a number one concern. Your staff understands that you cannot solve all their problems and hopefully they don’t expect that from you. Your employees want to know that you are trying to help and willing to listen. Do what is in your ability and power to do. Then reap the benefits that comes from a happy and loyal work crew.